On Wednesday, May 1, 2013, the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber celebrates their silver anniversary—Chamber Day 25. Last year’s benefit fundraiser was considered the largest single-day scuba charity event in the United States with over 1,000 participants and over $136,000 collected to support the Chamber. The committee is hoping for another successful event this year, so with your help, you can help improve dive safety and safe lives, either with your participation or generous donation.
Why benefit the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber? The Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber is an emergency medical facility for the treatment of diving accidents, and is the only hyperbaric chamber in southern California devoted exclusively to the treatment of diving accidents 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with the help of a rotating volunteer crew. Without proper treatment, major problems from diving accidents, such as decompression sickness and air embolism, can instigate serious injuries, sometimes permanent and even fatal. With effective on-site management of a diving accident, with the response by the Los Angeles County Baywatch Lifeguards, U.S. Coast Guard, and in conjunction with the immediate treatment at the Chamber, a diver’s life can be saved.
This year’s Chamber Day and Chamber Eve events include:
– Chamber Day, which includes a full day of diving (two dives) at Catalina, plus a walking tour of the Chamber at the Isthmus. Cost is $95 (plus $30 for food and air fills, which goes to the boat). Included is diving, the tour, a T-shirt, and five daytime raffle tickets.
– Those who can’t attend Chamber Day or Chamber Eve but would like to donate to the chamber’s operating fund can do so by supporting the 13th edition of the Flying Dutchman fund raiser. Simply sign up as a donor and receive five raffle tickets and a special limited edition T-shirt available only to folks who sign up for the Dutchman. (See website for details.)
– There’s also the Chamber Challenge, which “challenges” the diving community to raise extra funds for the Chamber through direct donations (mostly $100 pledges, but also $500 and $1,000, and even $5,000 and $10,000).
– This year, every donation to the Challenge of $250 or more will receive a special limited-edition poster (suitable for framing) of all 25 Chamber Day logos from 1989 through 2013. This poster will not be available for sale by itself.
– Chamber Evening is co-sponsored by the Aquarium of the Pacific, located at 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802. The event runs from 7 to 10 p.m. and features full access to the aquarium, a sit-down dinner in the Great Hall and a raffle. Reservations are required.
To sign-up, call 1-310-652-4990 or click here.