With the holidays approaching, there are many great gifts that avid anglers would love to receive. Here is my 2012 Top 10 list for that favorite fisherman of yours:
1. GoPro Mini Camera – This hands-free H.D. camera has become the rage for all the would-be amateur fishing show hosts out there. It is typically mounted with the head band, allowing the angler a total hands-free filming experience. They also have a long-handled accessory that lets you actually film your catch underwater. The GoPro is great for so many outdoor sports ranging from skiing and snowboarding to kayaking and mountain biking.
2. Typhoon Readers – These are great for more “mature” anglers who need to use reading glasses to tie knots and read charts or gauges. The Typhoon AquaView II series comes in a variety of styles, in 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 magnification. They are fully polarized and come with a hard floating case and a life time warranty. Priced at $69.99 these sunglasses are an outstanding value and gift for fresh and saltwater anglers!
3. Power Cap – An absolute “must” for any sort of night fishing. The miniature LED lamps are actually built into the Power Cap, allowing total hands-free angling while providing enough illumination to tie a knot, get out of a back lash, or even read a book!
4. A True Filet Knife – A veteran angler will really appreciate a true fishing filet knife this holiday. These are not your typical “pocket knife”, and they are a preferred alternative to any of your kitchen knives.
5. Needlenose Pliers – Too many fishermen lose this essential tool during the season and forget to replace it. Some of the top of the line P-Line models are well designed and will make a highly useable gift for every fisherman who needs to remove a hook safely!
6. Waterproof Chronograph – Fishermen are always getting wet. Whether you are releasing a trout while keeping it in the water, or sticking your hand in the bait tank well to grab a live sardine, your wrist will get wet. A good sports watch-chronograph by brands like Swiss Army and Casio is affordable and highly appreciated outdoor gift!
7. Chest Waders – So many anglers avoid fishing for trout, bass, and saltwater surf species because they do not want to get wet. A high quality pair of lightweight chest waders is a great solution and opens up an entire new world of serious angling!
8. Float Tube – Along with those chest waders, check out highly affordable float tubes or so-called “belly boats”. These miniature floating platforms are great for both fresh and saltwater angling, allowing the fishermen greater access to their favorite water.
9. AM/FM Weather Radio – The hardcore angler is probably more concerned with prevailing and future weather conditions than anything else. The C. Crane Solar Observer at $49.99 is a steal. Battery, crank, plug-in or solar powered, this is a great gift for the serious outdoors enthusiast!
10. The Saltwater Book – Yes, I know this is a little self-serving, but my best-selling text, Saltwater Fishing in California: Secrets of the Pacific Experts, remains the all time #1 book on how to challenge the California saltwater scene from the Oregon border to San Diego. Whether your angler prefers tuna or marlin fishing, or calico bass and salmon, this book covers it all. Great read!
All of these excellent holiday gifts for the dedicated angler are available at a Sport Chalet store near you. The Sport Chalet fishing department in each location is staffed by expert anglers who can help you choose additional stocking stuffers ranging from hooks, lines and lures, to tackle boxes and of course rods and reels. Happy holidays!